Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College(SKYCTC) is celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the College. As part of the celebration, SKYCTC will hold a ribbon cutting and ceremony on April 15th in the Main Campus Courtyard on Loop Drive.
The celebration is open to the pubic and everyone is invited.
Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College was forged from the needs of America. Established to train Armed Forces personnel, the College has grown and evolved to be a leader in education and workforce training in south central Kentucky.
The College was originally located on Russellville Road near the present site of the University Center on the Western Kentucky University campus, and was named the Western Trade School.
It was built in 1939 under the joint sponsorship of the National Youth Administration and Western Kentucky State Teacher's College. It operated as a N.Y.A. training facility, and was used to train industrial workers and Armed Services personnel for the duration of World War II.
At the end of the war, the Federal Government released the facility to the State Department of Education, Bureau of Vocational Education and Western Teachers College to be operated as an area trade school. The first coordinator of the school was Mr. Charles V. Youmans. When Mr. Youmans left to teach at the University of Kentucky in 1947, he was replaced by Mr. W. E. Ray. In 1955, Mr. Ray was employed in private industry, and Mr. Phillip Hampton became school principal.
Read about the full history of the College and view the timeline.